Monday 10 February 2020

Arancini - Best Rice Balls EVER! - Dairy Free, Egg Free, Vegan Options

Arancini - Best Rice Balls Ever - Vegan option included

Arancini- The Best Rice Balls EVER!
https://youtu.be/nGmQlP1mI_c

Marinara Sauce Recipe
https://youtu.be/KBCZGHFdDK8

If you like them crunchy on the outside and creamy on inside, this is the recipe for you!
My family absolutely loves these Arancini especially the vegan ones. It’s not often that people with dairy and egg allergies get to eat food that taste like it is loaded with dairy and eggs.....but they’re not!
The secret is getting delicious flavours into your rice and making the texture creamy.
Most recipes ask you to use leftover risotto. I don’t know about you but when I make risotto, it usually disappears. So for this recipe, I will start from scratch. The rice is easier-to form into balls when refrigerated overnight so I recommend making the rice a day or two before you need it.

I don’t cook the rice “risotto style” cooking. As you may know, making risotto requires you to stand for at least half an hour constantly adding liquid and stirring. Because I am making rice balls, I make the cooking of rice a little quicker. Throw everything in a pot and let simmer stirring often.

I use vegetable broth from a carton which works well for the vegan recipe. If you don’t mind chicken, then by all means use chicken broth. The meat that I include in the regular rice balls is fried ground pork seasoned with salt and pepper.  You can use any kind of meat you like...beef, veal, pork or a combination of all three. I also stuff the middle of the rice ball with cubed mozzarella cheese. For the vegan ones I buy vegan cheese which you can find in most supermarkets. You can use the shredded mozzarella or for my recipe I used the vegan provolone slices cut into squares.
For the rice you will need one cup Arborio  or Italian rice. This makes 8 large balls.
 Add 3 cups vegetable broth. I used the full salt. You can use the no salt or 33% less salt and adjust if necessary. Then I added half a cup of passata which is the crushed tomatoes you find in jars. You can also use canned crushed tomatoes or whip up a few very ripe tomatoes in a food processor.
I added a bit of salt and pepper to taste and I let it simmer. I monitor the rice often. As the water begins to evaporate, it may begin to stick to bottom of pot. So keep an eye on it. Taste towards the end of the cooking period, which usually takes 20 to 25 minutes. Taste the rice. If not super soft then add a bit more broth or water. Rice can also be cooked in water but it won’t be as tasty.
For the coating I season my own bread crumbs with salt, pepper, dried parsley flakes, oregano and basil. Be aware that store bought breadcrumbs may have dairy in them. Read the labels!
I moisten vegan balls in a vegan mayonnaise and water mixture.  You can use just water if you don’t have vegan mayonnaise. I dip the regular Arancini in lightly stirred eggs.
I put about half an inch of canola oil in a frying pan and cook a few balls at a time turning often, until golden brown. Move them to a cooling rack so they remain crunchy.
Eat with or without a marinara tomato sauce. Delicious either way.
You can find a quick and easy Marinara sauce at Gina’s Bella Cucina YouTube channel.
Find attached the YouTube link for both the Arancini  and Marinara Sauce!

No comments: