Saturday 8 February 2020

Making homemade Italian Sausages- Dairy Free




Homemade Italian Sausages







There’s nothing more satisfying than making your own sausages. It is a lot of work, I won’t lie, but it is well worth the effort. Asking your butcher to grind the meat (coarse grind) will save you time and effort.
The cut that I choose is the shoulder. It has more fat than the leg. You want some fat in your sausages so that they are juicy. You can be as creative as you want when making sausages in terms of the spices and flavours that you want to add. If you don’t like fennel seed then leave it out. You can control the heat. I’ve made mild, medium and hot sausages in the past. I’ve added pork liver to the mixture. Liver is not for everyone but it sure  is delicious in a sausage.
Making your own sausages means that you can control the salt and fat content. You also know exactly what is in the sausage. I always read labels when buying food and I was very surprised to find dairy products in many types of sausages. I have family members with severe dairy and egg allergies and it is challenging to find dairy and egg free products. I am always looking to modify recipes so everyone in the family can eat. Making my own sausages ensures that . 
The shoulder that I purchased gave me about 15 pounds of meat. When trying to figure out how much salt and spices to put in, split your meat up into smaller portions. If working with one pound of meat at a time, you can estimate approximately 3/4 tsp salt per pound. As for spices, it’s dependent upon your taste and how spicy you want them to be. Start with a little and work your way up. It’s always difficult to remove the salt and heat, but easy to add. Always do a taste test before you stuff your meat into casings. This can be done by making a small meat patty and frying it. Then you can go from there!

Check out Gina’s Bella Cucina on YouTube to see step by step procedures!  Link below!

https://youtu.be/BtVgCWP-CWw

How to Cook Italian Sausages in a White Wine Reduction
https://youtu.be/fg5dRMVs--Q

No comments: