Sunday 9 February 2020

Gnocchi - Dairy Free, Egg Free, Vegan


How to make Vegan Gnocchi

All I can say is ......DON’T GIVE UP!
I must admit, learning how to make gnocchi is somewhat challenging until you get the hang of it. Growing up, gnocchi making was a family event. My mother would stand at the wooden table and invite us to the table to help roll out the dough. This gnocchi dish pictured above was made wIth Nonna, my sister, my son and myself. It is very satisfying to make these little pillows of heaven and have them melt in your mouth, especially when making them with the people you love.
Many times I failed miserably......they were either too hard or too soft. My 94 year old mother ,of course , like many Italian nonnas, don’t have written recipes.  She always said that the pile of riced potatoes needs to be equal to the pile of flour! What exactly did this mean?? So in addition to taking the eggs out of her recipe due to family members with dairy and egg allergies, I had to figure out measurements that ensured the “soft pillows of heaven”. Through trial and error,I believe I found the perfect combinations. Even nonna approvesđź‘Ť

This recipe will make 5 to 6 portions.
You will need 2 large baking potatoes.( I use dryer potatoes that have less moisture than others)boiled and put through the ricer. I don’t recommend using a fork. They will turn out too heavy.
1 cup semolina flour
1 cup unbleached flour
Half a cup of water
Salt to taste ( about one Tsp)

When you mix all these ingredients together, if you find the dough still wet and mucky, you can add a little more flour until no longer sticky. If too hard, add a bit of water. This is the tricky part, knowing when it’s just right. A tip is to cook a couple of gnocchi before you begin to roll out. If you like the texture, then go for it. If too soft, add flour .....if too hard, add liquid.
Let rest covered in plastic wrap for about 10 minutes.
Roll out and cut to desired length.
Boil until they float - about 3 to 4 minutes.
Drain and serve.
Possible sauces include Marinara, Pesto, Sage and vegan margarine...all dairy free and egg free.

View my YouTube channel for step by step procedures at Gina’s Bella Cucina.

https://youtu.be/2JP7HtJFbLY

No comments: