Friday 13 August 2021

Hot Pickled Peppers

Hot Pickled Peppers









My garden produced a lot of peppers this year. I planted hot chili peppers, hot Portugal peppers and sweet banana peppers.

In an attempt to preserve them so I can enjoy them all year long, I thought I would try to pickle them. Soooo worth the effort.

The challenging part was to cut them and remove the seeds without burning my throat, eyes and fingers. I wore a mask, glasses and gloves. I stood over my stove using a cutting board as my work surface and with the exhaust fan on “high”. I later removed the glasses as they kept fogging up! But the mask and the exhaust fan worked fine.

For this recipe you will need:

220 grams of peppers - I used 6 hot Portugal peppers and 4 sweet banana peppers…..sliced and seeds removed

Place peppers in a large, glass canning jar with a wide mouth

In a pot I combined:

1 cup white vinegar

1 cup water

2 tbsps sugar

1 large garlic clove, peeled and flattened 

1 tsp salt

Stir and bring to a boil. Pour the boiled liquid into the jar with the peppers. Stir and let fully cool on counter. 

Once cooled, refrigerate. They will last a few weeks in the refrigerator.

Crunchy and deliciously hot!

No comments: