Monday 6 April 2020

How to Make Crusty Bread- Dairy Free, Egg Free



Bored and looking for something to do?? Want to learn something new??
Learn how to make crusty bread. This recipe is egg free and dairy free for those of you who have allergies.
Hopefully you have flour and yeast in the house.

How to Make a Crusty Loaf of Bread
https://youtu.be/HmmORP1tmBI



I use one package of traditional yeast for this recipe. If using bulk yeast, you will need 2 1/4 tsps of yeast. If all you have is instant yeast, then you can place yeast directly into the flour then add the warm water. I just find that using traditional yeast gives me a better texture.
Normally I make sourdough bread. I have my own starter yeast that I made from scratch about two years ago and I tend to it on a weekly basis as it sits in my fridge.
This yeast serves me well when I don’t want to go out shopping. The only issue with making this starter yeast is that it takes about 7 days to make. Not exactly quick nor is it easy.

So let’s go with the store bought yeast.

Place one package of traditional yeast into one cup of warm water. Add one teaspoon of sugar. Cover and leave it until it gets foamy, approximately 15 minutes.

Pour into large bowl and add 1 1/2 cups of warm water. Stir. I usually use filtered water. It makes the bread rise better.
Measure out 6 cups of unbleached flour.
Gradually stir 5 cups of flour and two teaspoons of salt into the yeast and water mixture until flour comes together. Reserve the one cup as you will need it as you go along.
Turn out onto floured surface and begin to knead adding more flour as needed so it’s no longer sticky, using the reserved flour. You should have about half a cup of flour left by the time the dough is ready.
Refer to video for kneading and shaping of dough.
Dough will need 1 1/2 to 2 hours to rise and double in size. I place my dough in a warm oven. I use the oven light to keep oven warm.
Once dough has risen, split in half and shape into 2 balls. Let rest in warm oven for 20 minutes.
Time to shape the dough. Refer to video.
Let rise in oven for roughly an hour.
Preheat oven to 400. I have a stone tray that I place in the oven to preheat. If you don’t have one you can use a regular tray.
I place some water in an aluminum tray and place it in the oven. This gives the bread a nice crust.
This bread is surprisingly delicious and fluffy and so delicious.

No comments: