Tuesday 18 February 2020

Vegan Eggplant Lasagna - Without the Parm Cheese

Vegan Eggplant Parmigiana 







Vegan Eggplant Parmigiana- Without the Parm cheese.
https://youtu.be/fnNY3snkMvA
Yes, now you too can enjoy this classic dish without using dairy, egg or meat!

Vegan cheese is readily available at almost all grocery stores these days that you can easily replace dairy products. I decided to use vegan Romano and Vegan Mozarella cheese for this recipe.
What the video doesn’t show you is that half of the eggplant lasagna has  real parm and real mozzarella 😉 This way everyone can enjoy. This would be how I usually cook. I always have to have a dairy free and egg free option for family members with food allergies.
I begin by choosing a firm, medium sized eggplant. I slice it into quarter inch thick slices. They are placed on a cookie sheet and lightly salted.  This will help remove some of the bitterness and moisture. I leave them for about 10 minutes then I blot away the moisture with a paper towel.
I dip each slice into a vegan mayonnaise and water mixture then they go into the Italian Seasoned Breadcrumbs which I added some garlic powder to. If you don’t have vegan mayonnaise, just use water. You can dip into an egg mixture for the regular version. You can find a dairy free Italian Seasoned Breadcrumbs on my YouTube channel, Gina’s Bella Cucina or on my blog. I will include link for breadcrumbs and my Marinara Sauce below. Away into a 400 F oven they go for about 20 minutes or until fork tender and slightly golden.
Then we begin layering. Begin by spreading some Marinara tomato sauce on the bottom of baking dish. Lay a couple of slices of breaded eggplant on top of sauce. Top with sauce and Vegan Romano cheese. This is where I sneak in parmigiana cheese on my half. Begin the layering process again and repeat until done. Top with Vegan Romano and Mozarella cheeses.
Bake in 375 F oven for about 30 to 40 minutes. Everything is already cooked so basically all we are doing is warming up and melting all the cheeses.
You can do this ahead of time and refrigerate then pop into oven when ready to bake. If going into the oven from the refrigerator it will need more time in-the oven.
If you love eggplant you will love this recipe. It is very healthy as nothing is fried.

Marinara Sauce Recipe
https://youtu.be/KBCZGHFdDK8

How to Make Your Own Italian Seasoned Breadcrumbs - Dairy Free
https://youtu.be/-dy9bSWDyf4

No comments: